4.06.2011

That darn cornhusk...

This post is for you who have now been consumed by the Iowa eagle cam and your laundry has piled up, the sink is full of dishes and the kids are now writing the words "dust me" on the furniture...because...well, you'd rather watch the eagle then do these mundane chores, right? Sorry, I do apologize!

While watching the parent eagles patiently waiting & waiting and tidying up there nest, I always noticed that one, big, darn, corn husk. You know what I'm talking about, right? They would work & work that corn husk, determined to get the large clumsy piece woven into their nest. I often times just wished they would do away with that darn corn husk...it just always seemed to be in the way. From time to time I go to You Tube as there are lots of clips of these eagles there (just type in Decorah, IA eagles in the search). Great, just what you needed...another place to watch the eagles...I won't tell the family, if you don't! Lots of fun stuff to see (from this year, as well as previous years).

Well yesterday, as my brats were burning on the grill, I came upon a clip that I must share with my crazy fellow eagle fans... Check it out. PLEASE NOTE - for some reason it is only showing a short clip...after viewing the short clip, a new screen will pop up, over to the right you then can click on the UP NEXT to view the full minute clip of what is known as the Decorah Shimmy...you must see the full minute clip! NOTE #2- you may want to scroll down to the very bottom of this page to turn down the volume on my background music.



Isn't that a hoot???

I'm gettin a bit concerned about that 3rd egg....do you think it is ever going to hatch? I'm thinkin that little fuzz ball better hurry up or he's going to be the weakling of the eaglets. And you know what happens to the weakling in an eagles nest? No? Well, let's just say it's not a good thing...sibling rivalry at it's worst and I don't want to witness that!

You may notice the background behind the eagles is now taking on a greenish hue...that is spring arriving in Iowa! The grass here is just starting to turn green,the tulips & daffodils are up. The trees are setting on leaf buds and in a few short weeks our trees will look like green lace...my.most.absolute.favorite.time.of.the.year!

Hoping it is sunny and warm wherever you are,
Brenda

15 comments:

Isobel -Argante- said...

Yes!!! I have spent all my morning watching them!!!!! I apologise, my name is Argante and I'm an eagle fan!!!! I follow thwm all the day and well... my home is ... oh gosh, no words to describe it!

Hugs
Argante

Teresa said...

I can see how you are addicted to the Eagle, I am addicted to your commentary.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Linda said...

LOL! The eagles that have captured America! I am worried about that third egg too.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting feel that an eagle intervention may be in order. My family ask that I turn the eagles off last night as we ate diner, they did not find the eagle nest appetizing, can you imagine that. This mornings nest takes the cake, SOGGY furry critters. I refuse to give it up, I love my eagles. Julie

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

I just want to say Thanks for sharing this link. I truly mean it. My Grand Daughter just loves it!
As soon as she gets home from school she has to see what they are doing. Last night before she went to bed she had to say Good Night. She has seen some amazing things with these eagles and has lots of ???
I'm also nervous for that one egg left in there after yesterday watching that one chick with the terrible 2's it won't have a chance. Prim Blessings! Robin

Anonymous said...

yep it's the eagle addict from indiana-- I'm almost hoping the 3rd egg deosn't hatch as I'm been reading up on eagles and it's doesn't sound pretty what happens--- I've named the babies Elmer and Moe as they are just the cutest things--- but yesterday they needed to do some housekeeping-- well back to work and eagle watching-- nancy

Nancy said...

I have not tuned in to watch the eagles yet because I know there would be no turning away. My family used to make fun of me when I would follow the many horse foaling links on the web at night. I missed lots of sleep during foaling season! It is so addicting watching nature!

Thanks for your commentary, I love it!

Lelia said...

Oh my, we've been watching since before the first egg hatched.

And, the little ones are as cute as ever!

I read someplace that the 3rd egg hatches in the next couple of days.

I have it on all the time + get annoyed when the thing goes down!!!

DawnB said...

I'am an addict too! I leave it up in the background at work and when I hear something going on I go to the other screen. My husband thinks I'm insane. One of those babies is just plain mean - to its mom and to its sibling. I'm hoping the other egg makes it too. Thanks for getting me hooked! :)

ItsMeMom said...

Okay, this is how bad I am. I set up a little table next to my treadmill so I can watch the eagles on my laptop while I get in a good walk. Oh brother!!! Thanks for sharing the link. I love it. C'mon #3.

Anonymous said...

I am glued, too. One evening about 10 minutes 'after' I was supposed to leave for work my husband asked in a calm voice 'Do you want me to call your boss and let her know you can't make it tonight because you have to watch the eagle cam?' We both laughed so hard....and I did make it to work! Angie

TheCrankyCrow said...

Thanks so very much for sharing that Brenda - you're right - it's an absolute hoot! I guess I'm lucky that I have a very tenuous internet connection these days and can't follow the eagles live (even that little blip you shared was painfully interrupted countless times)....if I had access, I'd be in real trouble! ;o) Robin

Becky G said...

Thanks so much for your posts. i started the riviting eagle watch when you first posted... and everyday since then. When we were expecting the first egg to hatch, I sent link to grandchildren. Apparently the two youngest (not usually on the internet)said "those are gramma's eagles?"

Oh... needlework, i love your style and color sensibilities! Thanks.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I just wanted to tell you Brenda, that ever since you posted the first time about the eagles, I went to the site. I e-mailed my Mom the site. We watched and chatted over the phone about the eagles. Before we knew much about them I'd say, there is a road over there see, see there is a car. One day we were chatting and watching and my Mom goes...."Oh my God there's a man on a horse on that road..." LOL! Needless to say, we have been, are still absorbed with the eagles. My husband just LAUGHS LOUDLY when he comes in our office and I'm sitting staring at an eagle sitting on a nest. :) THANK YOU for sharing it with us - I thank you and my Mom would too if she knew about your blog...heck she'd probably e-mail and talk to you about the eagles :)
The corn husk has been bothering us too...we've been saying how we'd like to cut it out....LOL!

susiedele said...

I'm watching, too and I'm also watching the ones in Norfork VA.
Just came from the Iowa cam and the #3 is hatching as I speak. 8 PM Wed.
The shimmy video is too funny. I love it when they do that. I'm glad I'm not alone on being addicted. They sure have a lot of food stockpiled. I read on a blog that eagles don't have a good sense of smell...Good Thing. Happy viewing...