5.22.2009

Empty Nesters....

Yep, it is official...we are empty nesters! One left the nest yesterday, but not without incident. We (I mean my darling husband) had to rescue him from the neighborhood cat (grrrrr). The cat had him down in the window well. Where is the camera when you need it? Watching my husband run across the yard, with bird in hand, and then trying to put it in a bush out of harms way... definitely a Kodak moment that got missed! Every bird within a 10 block area was dive-bombing him as he scurried across the yard with bird in hand!!



The second baby was gone this morning, the nest is now empty. Doesn't look to have been any constipation problems with these babies! Messy messy....



Did I mention the paper boy tosses our daily paper on the step just below the nest?? Well you can probably guess what condition our morning paper was in...didn't go over real well with the hubby! What is it with men and their morning papers??? A little bird do-do isn't going to hurt anything...is it??





This morning I walked around the front yard in search of the little ones...




I looked in the crab apple tree...



I looked in the hedge...



I looked down....


hmmm....



I looked up and this is what I found...

(click on photos to enlarge)

both little robins had made their way up into the red bud tree just a few yards from the nest. Daddy robin sat nearby, watching over the little ones, as Mother robin was busy in search of worms...


Their little tufts of fuzz are now becoming feathers...


their little spotted breasts are turning a rusty orange...


wondering when Mom is going to deliver a big juicy worm...

A great afternoon was had with camera in hand, hanging out the window on our second floor, taking pictures of our feathered friends. I found the red bud tree very busy with bird activity. The blossoms on the tree are pretty well spent, but the birds are enjoying the sweet nectar.

A male Baltimore Oriole (wishing I had a bigger zoom for my camera)...he too likes red bud blossoms!



A female American Red Start...


busily flitting from branch to branch...


Also spotted in the red bud was a hummingbird and house wren. My picture taking skills weren't quite good nor quick enough to catch these quick little birds!





Enjoy your l-o-n-g weekend,


brenda














3 comments:

BECKY said...

Hi Brenda!! Hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend!! I'm trying to catch up with all of my bloggy friends!!

Well, now you can clean up, huh? What cute little chicks they are!! I'm still sad that we didn't get to have babies on my front door, but maybe next year!! I love seeing your red bud tree and all the other birdies, too!! Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share!!

That pic of hubby would have been icing on the cake!! ;o) LOL!!

Blessings,
Becky

WoolenSails said...

Lots of beautiful birds in your neighborhood.
I can hear some in our gutters, so I am sure there are nests on both sides of my rooftops.

Debbie

SweetAnnee said...

LOVE this post.. I just am in awe of birds..
Thanks for sharing your babes..
My Nestle blog might interest you..
fondly, Deena