11.14.2008

Baby UGGS & bursting with excitement....

Our daughter Erin & husband Rob are expecting their 1st baby & our 1st grandchild. Ultra sound due date says November 27th and actual due date is December 2nd. So you see, the count down has begun here at grandma's house....hmmmmm am I going to be Grandma, or Grammy (this is what I called my Grandmother), or Granny Brenda??? A brand new baby just in time for Christmas...how exciting!

One day shortly after we got the the exciting news from Erin & Rob a Hanna Andersson catalog was in my mail box. I LOVED Hanna Andersson and I sort of forgot about this company. I ordered clothing from them when my children were young. These clothes were some of the last ones I parted with as the kids outgrew them (there may even be a few pieces in a box around this big old house of mine, for all I know;-). I was amazed....how did Hannah Andersson know I was approaching grandmother hood? Do you suppose they have a way of keeping track of how old we are really growing? Once we reach that "grandparent" age, we magically become part of their mailing list again. Hmmm....perhaps this is why I haven't received a Victoria's Secret magazine in some time!!
Well about an hour after the magazine arrived, I had several little "boy" items ordered online. They even have UGGS...can you believe it!!??? I couldn't resist, I had to order a pair! Oh how warm would these little fuzzy, fur lined UGGS keep a babies feet? Does this sound like a grandma-to-be who is trying to convince herself that it IS okay that she just spent 50 bucks on a pair of baby booties? The UGGS were on back order for what seemed like an eternity. They finally did arrive and I am know realizing that they will fit the baby in about August...the heat of summer! So they do need to be returned for a larger size some day, but in the mean time I have enjoyed peeking at them in their precious little shoe box!!

The nursery is now done & is just waiting for the arrival of this little one. Dave & I spent last weekend at their home putting the finishing touches on the room. They have chose the MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO theme from Pottery Barn for the nursery, far from the "safe" mint green color schemes that I used in my day. The ultra sound says boy...crossing our fingers it is correct as this nursery says "boy" all over it. They decided they would like the stripes and letters on the wall above the crib just as pictured in the catalog. Of course no one at Pottery Barn could tell us if these stripes were a wall paper border or simply painted on...after some thought we decided that for all we know the stripes were computer generated and just simply copy & pasted onto the photo!

We decided we'd give it a try, and paint the stripes on the wall. We used a masking tape called Frog Tape and it worked great...I highly recommend this tape! I was quite concerned of any goof ups made during the stripe painting process due to the fact that we had little or no wall paint left. Any mess ups would mean buying more wall paint and starting over. No pressure on Grandpa Dave (the painter in charge) at all! The stripes of bright white, orange & chocolate brown turned out perfect and looked great on the powdery blue wall. Really brought the whole room together with the sheets & quilt. The wooden letters that spell out the babies name were also hung that evening before we left. Now when guests come to visit they must run upstairs & take down the letters as they are trying to keep the name a secret. :-) We joked a few times and wondered what girls name we could come up with using the letters from their chosen boys name if the ultra sound was misread. I think there was one possibility for a girls name....

I have thoroughly enjoyed this whole pregnancy of my daughters and have gained a wealth of knowledge about products that I didn't even know exist. Oh my, how things have changed! (I think I remember my Mom saying this...oh know, isn't there some mirror mirror on the wall saying?) Today's strollers are no longer the Umbrella type that I used. Today's strollers are not only a stroller, they are the car seat & the infant carrier too! Playpens are now Pack N Plays. Then there is the device that warms the wet wipes so they aren't cold on the little ones bottom. There is also a waste basket of sorts contraption that holds something like 180 dirty diapers....not sure of this & really don't see a need to keep 180 dirty diapers in my house, stink or no stink! Then have you ever wondered how these cute, young pregnant woman are still wearing their regular jeans?? It is the belly band...what a great idea, whomever came up with it! It is a tube of knit fabric that you wear around the waist of your regular low-rise jeans. Your jeans are unzipped and this belly band simply holds everything together and keeps your pants from falling off! And baby booties are now called UGGS!

2 weeks and counting,

brenda




2 comments:

Carrie P. said...

Abig congratulations to you and your family. The baby uggs are so cute. Didn't know they made them that small.

WoolenSails said...

Those boots are too cute. Congratulations and I am sure you will spoil her rotten;)

Debbie